Kapiti’s Kikorangi Blue Cheese

19 Dec 2010

Kikorangi is by far my favourite blue cheese of all time.  Produced by Kapiti (known in New Zealand for their decadent range of cheeses and ice creams), this cheese is made with triple cream resulting in rather sumptuous, rich and creamy flavours and an almost buttery texture… *sigh*  If only I could take some back to London with me…

Kapiti's Kikorangi Triple Cream Blue Cheese

Kapiti's Kikorangi Triple Cream Blue Cheese

Featured are some of the photos I took from my February New Zealand trip.  The cheese was lovely on crackers with a slice of tomato, basil leaves and freshly cracked black pepper.  An indulgent snack to have outside on the deck in the lovely sunshine.

Cheese and Crackers

Cheese and Crackers

For dinner tonight I decided to have Green Lipped Mussels again but this time with the joy of a blue cheese sauce made with Kikorangi.  Super decadent and a fast way to use up (i.e. waste) a lot of good and somewhat pricey cheese really quickly.  But hey, what a way to go!  (I’m also using the excuse that I’m on holiday).

Green Lipped Mussels in Kikorangi Blue Cheese Sauce

Green Lipped Mussels in Kikorangi Blue Cheese Sauce

This is the recipe I used – nice and simple but oh so rich and tasty.  You may substitute with non-green lipped mussels and any kind of blue cheese you like!

Green Lipped Mussels in Kikorangi Sauce

Serves 1

500g Green Lipped Mussels, washed and debearded
1 Shallot, finely sliced
2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1 Tomato, seeds removed and finely chopped
1/3 glass of White Wine
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
60g Kikorangi Blue Cheese
3 tablespoons Parsley, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
Black Pepper

Heat the olive oil over a low heat and gently fry the shallots and garlic for about 5 minutes or until soft.  Add the tomato and fry for another 3 minutes.  Turn the heat up to medium. Add the mussels and stir.  Pour in the wine and lemon juice and bring to a boil.  When the mussels look like they’re starting to open, add the blue cheese and stir in until melted.  When the mussels are cooked, stir in the parsley, season with black pepper and serve.  (I don’t add any additional salt as I find both the mussels and cheese are naturally salty).

This was gorgeous served up with some little roasted potatoes (freshly dug up from my Dad’s garden) and a crispy bread roll.  Absolutely delicious when dipped into the blue cheese sauce like some kind of amazing super fondue.

Little roasted potatoes and a bread roll

Friends of the Kikorangi Sauce

Related Posts

8 Responses to “Kapiti’s Kikorangi Blue Cheese”

1. Jay "I love to party" Rayner 19 Dec 2010 at 3:34 pm #

Decadence oft considered to be a negative of the gastro critic. I personally aspire to always consume to the point of self obliteration.

Keep rolling with the blog kiddo, don’t be afraid to chase the perfect diner even if you must sacrifice normalcy.

I’m hungry you should write a piece on meat and chips – I know Heston is a fan.

• Yeebot 20 Dec 2010 at 11:58 pm #

Hey thanks “fake Jay”. :)

And also thanks to the real Jay for tweeting me. Am totally stoked… what a nice guy!

2. Janine 07 Jan 2011 at 9:20 pm #

Try Kaimai Creamy Blue if you’re still in Aotearoa. Had some yesterday and it was surprisingly good – I don’t typically rate NZ cheeses (I’m sorry to say). In the meantime I’ll most definitely be tasting that Kapiti Kikorangi.

• Yeebot 08 Jan 2011 at 1:59 pm #

Oooh thanks for the tip Janine! I’ve not tried it before but I leave on Thursday so that should give me some time to check out Kaimai.

3. Craig Roper 08 Mar 2012 at 5:35 pm #

Hi Yeebot I work in the factory that makes Kikorangi .We are happy to hear that people enjoy our cheese we have a lot of pride in the Kikorangi .

We would be interested to know if there would be a market for this cheese in London we could find a way to get it to you .

regards
    Craig

• Yeebot 08 Mar 2012 at 6:53 pm #

Hi Craig,

I’m sure there would be a market for this cheese – it’s certainly a great favourite amongst the ex-pat community and non-Kiwi’s whom we’ve introduced to it!

It would be amazing if I could get hold of it at my local Waitrose supermarket without having to travel halfway across the world! :D

• Rachel 15 Jun 2012 at 2:38 pm #

I totally agree with Yeebot. I have lived in London for 14 years and have never found a blue cheese that comes close to Kikorangi. I still dream about the stuff and always buy it when visiting NZ. I also shop at Waitrose who have a really great international cheese selection. I could get all my friends in London converted in a shot! Also there are more and more antipodean owned cafes opening and I’m sure they would love to use some ‘home-grown’ cheese. I guess it would have to be reasonably affordable as there is so much variety here. If I was Kapiti I would set up a stall in London’s ‘Borough Market’ home to the famous, ‘Neal’s Yard’ cheese to drum up lots of interest!

• Andreas 31 Jan 2014 at 12:30 pm #

I would like to buy it in London as well. This cheese is unique and there is no European substitute for it that I know of