Getting back on the wagon at Meat Liquor

8 Nov 2011

It’s been a little while since my last blog post. Various factors have made it tricky for me to find the time recently, but it certainly hasn’t prevented me from eating! But what better way to tentatively take a step or two back on the blogging wagon than with a quick and dirty recount of my meal at the opening of Meat Liquor earlier this evening?

The rather gratuitous Dead Hippie Burger

The rather gratuitous Dead Hippie Burger

From the folks behind The Meatwagon and #MEATEASY, I’d been eagerly anticipating new incarnation Meat Liquor’s advertised opening day of the 11.11.11. However it was a tweet from Hollow Legs that alerted me to the fact that they had secretly opened early today. I work nearby so off I went to scope the place out.

Meat Liquor

Anyone who has had one of Yianni Papoutsis’ burgers will be familiar with the fare on offer at his new longer term and more accessible, central location just behind Oxford Street’s Debenhams on 72 Welbeck Street. Accompanying his classic burgers and Philly cheesesteaks are a range of cocktails, meaty side dishes and even a couple of “rabbit food” dishes (which we instantly discounted).

Full English Martini

Full English Martini

My Full English Martini – a strong, solid drink came served with a crispy bacon coated quails egg for dipping. Biting into it revealed a tanginess reminiscent of pickle juice, with the crunch of the bacony, light, outer coating.

I Am Lomo

I Am Lomo

“I Am Lomo” (Lomo being the Spanish word for tenderloin) was thinly sliced pork tenderloin, grilled and placed between a hamburger bun with chunks of fresh tomato and served as a starter. Although decent, it failed to excite.

Buffalo Wings with Blue Cheese Sauce

Buffalo Wings with Blue Cheese Sauce

Similarly the buffalo wings were fairly standard but the blue cheese sauce was amazing – creamy, garlicky with meltingly soft hunks of blue cheese, it tasted good with everything!

Dead Hippie Burger and Deep Fried Pickles

Dead Hippie Burger and Deep Fried Pickles

But as you might imagine, the real stars of the show and what Meat Liquor seemed to know best was beef! The Dead Hippie Burger containing a double beef patty made with a special, secret sauce was deliciously meaty, dripping with the juices of beef and pickle, oozing with melting cheese.

The Deep Fried Pickles which were ordered as a curiosity ended up being a surprise favourite. Who knew that juicy, tangy pickles could be so moreish when coated in crispy batter and deep fried?

Chilli Cheese Fries

Chilli Cheese Fries

And in case you felt you hadn’t had enough meat, a meal in itself, the side of Chilli Cheese Fries came with a generous topping of flavoursome beef, green pepper, onion and melted yellow cheese.

Meat Liquor

The total bill for our meal and a couple of drinks came to a reasonable £33.60 excluding service. In an area mostly filled with ubiquitous chains, Meat Liquor is a welcome addition to Central London and is definitely worth a visit. They serve food and drink until midnight, except for Fridays and Saturdays where they serve until 2am.

Meat Liquor
72 Welbeck Street
London

Meat Liquor on Urbanspoon

Related Posts

14 Responses to “Getting back on the wagon at Meat Liquor”

1. Lizzie 09 Nov 2011 at 12:37 pm #

Thanks for the link!

I’ve never heard the chicken wings described as ‘fairly standard’ ;) I can’t wait till I get to go and give that menu a good work out.

• Yeebot 09 Nov 2011 at 1:12 pm #

You’re welcome! I love chicken wings – they’re my favourite part of the chicken, but these just didn’t leap out at me. Probably didn’t help that my expectations were huge! The outstanding blue cheese sauce made them all good though.

2. aoife 09 Nov 2011 at 9:17 pm #

so lustful, so happy. gosh that first photo is sexy.

• Yeebot 10 Nov 2011 at 12:49 pm #

Indeed! I almost struggle to look at it myself!

3. Rachel 09 Nov 2011 at 11:59 pm #

The pork sandwich does look a bit blah. Did it have any obvious seasoning or flavouring? Is the provenance of the chicken (and pork) listed on the menu? Chicken wings are the cheapest of the cheap – would love to know how much they are charging for them. Very easy to make at home too.

• Yeebot 10 Nov 2011 at 12:35 pm #

No, I didn’t really notice any additional seasoning/flavouring in the pork tenderloin sandwich – I guess the quality of the meat is meant to stand out for itself. But with everything else being dowsed in cheese, pickles and onions, it just came across as a bit lacklustre in comparison.

The menu was very simple – listing names, no descriptions. But yes I agree, it would have been good to know the provenance of the meat.

I think the wings were in the region of a fiver.

4. Gourmet Chick 10 Nov 2011 at 11:49 am #

I am literally drooling on the keyboard – this looks great (and yours are by far the best pics I have seen – looks like it was dark in there).

• Yeebot 10 Nov 2011 at 12:49 pm #

Thanks! I must admit to committing the ultimate food blogger faux pas though and switching my flash on. :/ But it was really very quiet on that evening when we visited (see last photo) so hopefully no one really noticed the discrete flashes coming from the back corner for a few swift photos!

5. The Perfect Trough 14 Nov 2011 at 9:33 am #

I loved it too. And your pics are great! Make mine look quite tragic…

• Yeebot 30 Nov 2011 at 12:38 pm #

Thanks! :) I cheated though and had my flash on. (Oops)

6. saskia 04 Mar 2013 at 11:50 am #

I loved the dead hippie burger so much that I’ve done my best to recreate it at home! you should check it out and give it a go for your next dinner party :)

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Meat Liquor — Food Stories - 09 Nov 2011

[...] There are some much better pictures of the food here. [...]

2. MEATmarket – the follow-up to MEATliquor to launch in Covent Garden | City or Sleep - 28 Nov 2012

[...] Liquor image from Fifteen Pickles « We love…The new ‘Power Lunch’ at Thirty Six By Nigel Mendham The [...]

3. MEATmarket – the follow-up to MEATliquor to launch in Covent Garden | This Little Lady... - 29 Nov 2012

[...] Liquor image from Fifteen Pickles « We love…The new ‘Power Lunch’ at Thirty Six By Nigel Mendham Music We [...]